Emergency Mobile Charger using Solar Panel [Complete Guide]
Looking for a way to charge your phone when you are completely out of options? Make yourself a emergency mobile charger with a portable solar panel which could come handy especially while traveling or while outdoor camping. This is a hobby project which can be made by anyone following some very simple instructions. The charger works on the principal of solar panel being used as a energy generator converting solar energy to electrical energy, if you are wondering how a solar panel works, click here. Since the voltage required by a phone is 5V a voltage regulator IC 7805 is used to get the desired output voltage from the solar panel.
1W Watt Solar Panel 9V
MALE - FEMALE USB CABLE
Voltage regulator IC 7805
An emergency mobile charger with a portable solar panel which could come handy especially while traveling or while outdoor camping.
How the Emergency Mobile Charger work ?
When the solar panel is exposed to the direct sunlight it converts the solar energy into electrical energy this inducing DC voltage at the terminals. But since its not possible for a human being to maintain a constant output voltage which some time might go beyond 5V which is above the save limit of the phones. Thus an IC 7805 is used to regulate the voltage and to make sure that we have a constant 5V.
Steps to follow :
- Cut out the female end of the USB cable clip of the data cables. We require only RED and BLACK wires as shown in the picture :
- Now using a solder iron make the following connections as given below :
- Paste the IC 7805 and female USR port on the surface of the wooden base with a glue gun so as to secure it on the surface. You can refer the video for more information here.
- Also it would be preferred to keep the solar panel at a height in an inclined manner.
- Bingo ! now you are ready to test your 'Emergency Mobile Charger' !
Here is a short video showing step by step procedure :